Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Culture-Point Value-for-money

Culture-Point Value-for-money

Don't know whether anyone's interested in this, but I was interested enough to do some number-crunching and thought I might save anyone else the trouble.

As you know, buildings and resource fields generate culture points, which are a prerequisite to founding your next village. To quote from Travian Help:

Culture points (CP) are a restriction that limits the number villages you can found or conquer. You gain them by building and upgrading buildings in your village.
    If you're the average Teuton - raiding, breeding armies, and leaving your infrastructure 'til last - then you just build a Town Hall, throw parties to generate Culture Points, and forget about it. In that case, read no further. If you're the average Gaul - simming happily away, building your empire until it's strong enough to churn out an army to wipe the smile off those Teuton's faces - then you may be interested in this.

The crux of this mini-guide is that different buildings generate different amounts of culture points, and (obviously) cost different amounts of resources to complete. So this table shows you which buildings give you the most daily culture points relative to how much resources you need to spend building it; in other words, which is best value-for-resources as far as CP goes.

The table shows for each building's maximum level (level 20 for everything except: Treasury and Crannies - level 10; 'Resource Factories' - Level 5), how many culture points are generated daily, and how many resources are required to complete all levels of the building. It's arranged in order of best to worst CP value-for-money.

The biggest surprise is that the humble cranny is the most cost-efficient source of culture points. Of course, this is limited by the ceiling of 6 CP per day maximum; so once your building sites start filling up, and you need to get the most out every site, you may want to knock down a cranny or two and replace it with a less cost-efficient, but more productive (and more useful) building. Nevertheless, right at the start of the game, this is the quickest and most cost-effective way to build up CP for your first expansion; so one more good reason to build crannies!

Not surprisingly, the Main Building, the Market, the Academy, and the Embassy are great for culture points both in absolute terms and in cost-efficiency. However, less obvious buildings such as the Granary, Warehouse, Wall (any tribe), Rally Point, and Trapper, are also very cost-efficient for Culture Points; their total yield is low, though not as low as the cranny.

The top two buildings for culture points in absolute terms are the Palace, and the Town Hall (even without holding any parties at all!); but as the table makes clear, both are relatively expensive, and hence less cost-efficient than many others. 'Resource Factories' such as the Sawmill, Grain Mill etc are very poor CP generators, both in absolute terms and in cost-efficiency. Resource fields are obviously more cost-efficient than the table suggests - because of course they pay back resources.

A key point to realise is that resources spent on parties will generate one-off CP in a hurry, but are otherwise 'wasted'; whereas resources spent on infrastructure will carry on generating CP for the rest of the game. For example, with about 20 000 resources you could throw a Small Celebration and get a one-off boost of 500 CP. Alternatively, with the same resources you could build (say) 4 Level 10 crannies, generating 24 CP per day: after 21 days, you have over 500 CP, and still counting; and you've had the benefit of your crannies. The same argument holds true, to different degrees, for all the other buildings. Parties are great for giving a quick boost to your CP; but buildings will get you more CP in the long run.

So if you're trying to decide what to build or upgrade, and you have your next village in mind, perhaps this will help make up your mind.

Edit 23 Feb 2011: An important point to note, is that CP efficiency is much greater at lower building levels than at higher levels. So rather than levelling your embassy all the way up to L20, you may be better off building the lower levels of 'less efficient' buildings first.
    Last edited by aesculapian; 23rd February 2011 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Added point about low-level building efficiency

Re: Culture-Point Value-for-money

this is nice first 3 buildings i always max out at each base is MB academy and embassy to maximise my CP intake

Grantmitch1

If you were to tidy this up a little bit, I can picture this going somewhere.

Until you have all your infrastructure built.... I would only have half the villages I have now on AU1 if I wasn't constantly partying

But good analysis nonetheless Thanks!

Completed 9 Servers (Most Recent)
    Average ally rank - 5th (2nd)
    Average pop - 30,625 (48,610)
    Average Conquer Rank - 14th (1st)
    Average Off rank - 15th (4th) - 541,000 (1,585,505)
    Average Def Rank - 16th (8th) - Kills: 551,000 (1,016,138)

A lot of it is covered here.

\travian\faq - Culture Points
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKYZwVTPXb4
    Quote Originally Posted by freedomfighter
    Now most of you are from Australia well in the U.S.A. We use a lot of words such as u and more talk that you might not understand that is how we write in everyday life.
    Are you having troubles with negative crop?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero
    Your village was founded on quicksand. You'll have to delete and restart, I'm afraid.

Grantmitch1

Here is what I believe needs to be done
    1. Could you provide more analysis on culture points, what they are and do.
    2. Could you replace your make-do-text-table with an image (of a filled table)
    3. Please never bullet point. Can you write out full paragraphs.

Thank you,
    Grant

Thanks for the encouragement, Grantmitch. I've done 1 and 3 (though I'm not sure how much more one can say about CP and what they do).

I wanted to include an image of the table, rather than spending an hour lining up all those dots(!); but cannot for the life of me figure out how. The Forum FAQ says:

To attach a file to your post, you need to be using the main 'New Post' or 'New Thread' page and not 'Quick Reply'. To use the main 'New Post' page, click the 'Post Reply' button in the relevant thread.
    On this page, below the message box, you will find a button labelled 'Manage Attachments'. Clicking this button will open a new window for uploading attachments. You can upload an attachment either from your computer or from another URL by using the appropriate box on this page. Alternatively you can click the Attachment Icon to open this page.
    ... but I couldn't (and still can't) find the 'Manage Attachments' button or an Attachment Icon. If you can put me right on that, then it's yours.

Sorry to be such a newb!

Aesculapian

P.S. "Attachment Icon" - sounds kind of Freudian, doesn't it?

Let me try and actually make a relevant point....

Not sure you should ignore the cranny though - a Level 10 cranny produces 6 CP, costs 5005 total resources for 834 resources per daily CP. Whilst I wouldn't recommend dropping in 20 level 10 crannies for max CP, it's a cheap way of producing CP at start of game.
    Last edited by VVV; 20th April 2009 at 09:04 AM. Reason: First attempt was garbage

Wow. VVV, that's the biggest surprise of the lot. I hadn't even bothered entering the humble cranny on my spreadsheet.

I'll certainly add that to my final version.

Regards

Aesculapian

Quote Originally Posted by VVV View Post
    Let me try and actually make a relevant point....

Not sure you should ignore the cranny though - a Level 10 cranny produces 6 CP, costs 5005 total resources for 834 resources per daily CP. Whilst I wouldn't recommend dropping in 20 level 10 crannies for max CP, it's a cheap way of producing CP at start of game.
    To put it into perspective though....

834 resources per CP...

vs 2000 CP from a great celebration....

if we were paying that much for 2000 CP you are looking at over 1.6million res...

And BEFORE anyone starts dismembering my comment. I'm aware that its not 24hrs, its between 48 and 36 hours depending on level, so cut that figure in half, still over 800k in resources..

and last I checked the cost for a great celeb is... actually, I'll check...

ok, it's under 102k.... so pretty cost effecitve. if you go by the numbers...

Completed 9 Servers (Most Recent)
    Average ally rank - 5th (2nd)
    Average pop - 30,625 (48,610)
    Average Conquer Rank - 14th (1st)
    Average Off rank - 15th (4th) - 541,000 (1,585,505)
    Average Def Rank - 16th (8th) - Kills: 551,000 (1,016,138)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast