Hi all,

This is a discussion thread for the announcement made here:

http://archive.forum.travian.com.au/...062#post252062

♫♬ ♬♫

"Limitations are in ourselves, for what we see is only what we are"

Re: Crew's 2 Forum Accounts Discussion

Guess who? *Should have chosen the name Captain Obvious*

Lol! Your Avatar gives you away. Have fun with your two accounts.

I actually hope all the other mods are paid well enough to make it worth their time. While I dont like it, (or at least not the way its done) I do see some very good reasons as to why they are doing this.

Currently kaf, if someone was to come online and ask a question regarding the game, you would be free to answer from either accounts. But having that badge, of "community admin" under your name, puts more value on your response compared to the rest of us. I feel that you should still have some sort of badge on your other account, simply so that others know who you are -> but then doing this kinda defeats the entire purpose of the exercise, as we would then have 2 accounts with obscure names with the official badges.

I do agree that there are some very good reasons for having 2 accounts, but the way it has been done, sucks.

IF You have to do this 2 account thing, then this is how I would do it:
    One thing I have noticed is that there are always Game admins, or forum admins, or MH's that are changing over (i say this world wide, not necessarily specific to this domain). Instead of these players have 2 forum accounts each. Perhaps each travian forum needs to have a dedicated account for that specific role. Lets take a look at the "competitions" forum account. Doesnt matter who is running the comp, its the same account name. In fact, we already changed the person behind the competitions account, but having a single username that is more owned by travian, can be beneficial to the community. Think about in game, its "multihunter" not one week "Kafkaesque" and another week "loki" and another week "skip" -> its one name for that role.

To expand on this, this forum currently has the game admins account set as "Kafkaesque", so if you leave in the next 10 years, which forum account (and name) do you get stuck with? do you simply lose access to that name forever? And we then get another Game admin forum account, with yet another obscure name. What about all the official admin posts that were made before you? made by you? and will be made by you in the next few months?

It would be better if all of these were made by an account owned by TG, this way it is universal, not just on this domain, but universal world wide. When someone replaces a specific role, they take over the forum account, with all the official posts attached to it. You would have "Community Admin" (as the name for the Game admin account) "Forum admin" for the person who fulfills the role of forum admin.
    This would mean that on every forum, we would have universal names for the admins, and overall this is better then having different names for each admin, having multi accounts and so on.

As for the badges, if your forum account is called "Skip" and the admin account is called "Game Admin" then there should be a note under the name saying "Current admin is: skip". Same would work for the "Forum admin" where the note under the name would be "Current admin is: Kat". And you would have this vica-versa, with your "skip" account having the note of "Official game admin". I would even be happy if your account "skip" held the badge of "game admin" simply to recognize your role. I would not expect this to cause confusion as people as people would get used to contacting the account "game admin" for admin roles.

To highlight this point further, if anyone here, reading this hasnt been on travian.us for a while, or if any player on their domain hasnt popped into the forum regularly, if for some reason they need to contact the admin, they will be shocked when they find the admin has been replaced, and again, its causes confusion, as there is no official account, meaning you would have to hunt through old announcements to find who is in the role.

If you are going to muck around with 2 forum accounts anyway, then this is what I feel is needed. Have 1 official account that will be owned by the forum for that role. Have the same name for that account role on EVERY domain.

At any rate, all of this is up to the admin and support staff to mull over and find what works best for them, and the community.

Regards,
    Matt.

Played travian for 4 years, and all I got was:

Good Points, LR.

My understanding for the us. Domain is that everyone on staff is to choose a new name for their "personal" account. The change has not yet been implemented, but logically speaking the two accounts would look like this: MOD Name be the official TG account, and Name as your personal. So, I would be Mod peekaboo, and peekaboo, respectively.

In the case if you ever had to leave Staff, your name would be returned to your private account.

Also, I think associating each position with a name personalizes the entire process. I don't know about you but I would at least like to know the name of the person behind the position. I'd rather not send a message to the FA and receive a reply back signed as FA.

Addition: Yes, the current CM on us. is new.

I personally like the way it has been done. I do not want my private account to have the same or similar name to my crew account. I do not want it to carry a crew badge, nor anything identifying it as a crew account. I don't care if people know that it's me nonetheless. I still prefer it this way.

Having names attached to accounts, rather than generic names like "Moderator" or "Multihunter", provides accountability. If a member of staff does something incorrectly, then you and I both know who is responsible. If someone does a good job, they get that recognition. If I end up talking with a different mod to the one at the start of the interchange, any lack of recalling what had been discussed would be understandable. There are many benefits to having individual crew accounts, and I would not trade that in.

I also do not want anything on my private account linking it to being crew, because for every piece of info that identifies me as crew, I have to think extra careful before saying things. If I wish to enter a discussion on server politics, or provide a critique of particular strategies or ideas, I do not want to be posting under any sort of crew banner. I've been crew for a while now, and there have been a number of occasions where I've posted my own personal opinion, and someone has been upset because I'm wearing the crew banner, and the person interprets my opinion as that of a crew member, rather than the personal opinion of a player. Having a private account is likely to be rather liberating for me.

Finally, I do not believe the occasional changeover of crew is going to present that big a problem. If people wish to find crew members to contact, there's a convenient link to a page stating the names of the crew who fill the various roles. It's found at the top of the forums, accessible on every page of the forums. And to be honest, I'd rather know the name of the person I'm talking to (even if it's just a pseudonym), than have to refer to them only by a depersonalised job title.

It's safe to say it's a stupid idea really.
    But it's the way it works now.
    And hey I'm allowed to say these things now at least.
    Au2 (Rd 1) Mwesty | Au3 (Rd 1) Mwesty |Au1 (Rd 2) Mwesty | Au2 (Rd 2) Settas |Au1 (Rd 3) El Sancho | Au5 (Rd 1) Swordax IV | Au1 (Rd 4) Electron
    Au2 (Rd 5) CodeSlave | Au3 (Rd 5) Hamish&Andy | Au4 (Rd 4) Factory | Au1 (Rd 7) .Q. | Au3 (Rd7) Quantum

That's one reason as to why there are two accounts now. Your Personal gives you the same amount of freedom as other Forum Posters.

The reason we are not using one account for each role is because it depersonalises the team. We are human, we aren't robots, so we all have our own accounts. No one likes dealing with a machine or a nameless face.

We don't change CMs every other week as you know, CMs are usually on the team for years without change.

We've changed the most important announcements over to the name Kafkaesque already. This won't be an issue with announcements that are made in future because of course they will already have my name when I post them.

We won't post any affiliation with the team such as role badges or signatures that say "Skip is the CM" etc. on our personal accounts because it defeats the purpose of having 2 accounts.

As always the best way to contact the CM is to do it via email which is a generic address: admin@*game*.*domain*

Also there is a link at the bottom of the forum mainpage to the "forum leaders" it's easy to find who you want because the work accounts have our positions listed in our avatars.

I strongly feel that it would be a bad thing for us to have generic accounts with just our position title such as "Community Manager" "moderator" "mulihunter" as our work account names for exactly the same reason we sign off every in game message and email with our individual nicknames.

We are individual people, we want the players to know they are dealing with a real person, not an emotionless, nameless face.

Also, great example here: If Mwesty had said that on his work account he'd be in trouble because his account is labelled as a staff account and as such, he's representing the team and the company, but because he said it on his personal account with no badges or labels, it's totally fine.

♫♬ ♬♫

"Limitations are in ourselves, for what we see is only what we are"