Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Silver Pushing Prevention Discussion

Silver Pushing Prevention Discussion

Hi everyone,

I'm happy to announce that we have a new system to prevent players moving huge amounts of gold from one account to another.

Additionally we have a new feature in place which will prevent players from bidding more than the "real worth" of items in the auctions.

This will prevent players from bidding 500,000 silver on 1x ointment and other such ridiculous bids.

Players who try to bid more than the "real worth" will not be punished or banned. It is not against the game rules to try doing this, the system will just prevent you from exceeding the limit.

In order to prevent this feature being compromised we will not be publishing the details of how the "real worth" of items is determined, however careful attention has been paid to make sure that the "real worth" will be fair.

Kind regards,

Kafkaesque & Your Travian Team

Re: Silver Pushing Prevention Discussion

Kafka,

I'm intrigued to hear the justification behind this? I wasn't aware that there were conditions attached to the purchase of gold that prevented you from spending it how you chose?

All <3 to Hmphy-Bunny for the sig.

Its not the purchased gold that is the problem.
    There's no real benefit to pushing that, you can just buy it for them.
    The issue is the spamming of hero accounts who just do adventures, sell items, make a heap of silver and then push to a single account. I'm loath to say the word multi, but a lot of them are at least the equivalent. It is happening on most servers now. And depending on your perspective, it certainly breaks the spirit of the old "each account played for it's own benefit".
    There also seems to be a few who find a way to "magically" get silver. Not sure how that works though. Without gold and without hero items of note.

Rok,

Doesn't work for me. You don't make new rules for things that can be prosecuted under existing rules. If people are multi'ing, ban them for that.

Rok hit the nail on the head.

It's not a measure to punish legitimate gold buyers/users. The measure will prevent players from pushing silver from their multi accounts to their main account before they are banned. It will also prevent people who commit payment fraud (yes people break the law for the sake of a computer game..) from being able to throw their silver around either by pushing it to another account or by inflating auction prices ridiculously and buying stuff for ridiculous prices (ie. 400k silver more than the previous winning bid) that legitimate players and gold buyers had bid on.

If you are a legitimate gold buyer who plays within the game rules you may not notice the changes at all. This system has been running for quite a while now but we weren't able to announce it until now. In that time we've had just 2 players on the whole AU domain comment on having exceeded the limits.

Both of those players had been bidding very high amounts on the same auction. So in the time this system has been running we've only had an issue with one auction item.

I guess if you want to pay 50k silver for 1 ointment you will have a problem. But other than that... it should be fine.

Kafka,

My comment still stands - you don't invent a new rule for dealing with something that already has rules in place. Both multi-accounting and fraud are already covered by other measures.

Let's use au1 as an example. Simmins and I deleted, but sold 27 artworks in one hit, getting 550K silver in doing so. We can't take the silver with us to another server - so yeah, we did bid 50K on a lot of single ointments to give the silver to allies before deleting. This is the form of silver transfer that this system will prevent - given that fraud and multis are already covered in other rules.

This is just head office ensuring that they minimise silver transfers, and ensure that people buy more gold.

It's not about getting people to buy more gold. Silver pushing/lack of rules/prevention is one of the current biggest discussion topics amongst players, so Head Office acted on it.

I view it as the same as preventing players from pushing resources, that's no longer against the game rules, but if the automatic trade limits weren't in place we would have a rule for it.

If only 2 people have noticed it and mentioned it on AU and only on the same auction on the one server so far, it really can't be all that bad can it?

We receive hundreds of messages about the slightest changes when players experience them for themselves, but this is not one of those times.

We do regularly ban players for multi and payment fraud, but prevention is better than cure.. this makes it fairer on the rule abidng, legitimate gold buyers. Now you know that the people placing bids are the ones who earnt/bought their silver legitimately and that no one is injecting huge sums of silver into the auction system which both makes it unfair in the auctions for players and also in terms of the fact that the people doing all this dodgy stuff can convert their silver into gold which can then be used for instant building NPCing and resource bonuses when you're trying to zero pop them and defend against their armies.

Perhaps as the server progresses, the limit on silver bid size should also increase.

Quote Originally Posted by paddles View Post
    Perhaps as the server progresses, the limit on silver bid size should also increase.
    perhaps, but there should be a 'risk' calculation involved in with the calculations of the limits.

A new account has xx risk, someone thats using a former or known email address should have less risk. After being on a server for 6 months, and buying alot of gold, and the accounts had regular activity and actively growing then i would put that risk down to 0, and the limit would be appropriate for the risk.

Alot of the silver farmers that sell silver/gold at 25% of the cost to buy gold could be stopped by calculating a players "risk" as part of the limit, while the majority of the server would most likely never be aware of the limit.

Perhaps even restrictions on how much hero items can be sold at say under 75 pop would be a suggestion. I mean seriously, if a silver farmer has 3 pop, and isnt actively growing, should they be allowed to sell 1000 hero items? i mean we know they arent playing, so perhaps limits reducing the maximum amount of silver that can be collected by non-players would be useful (you might have it that once they reach 2 villages, the selling limit is lifted entirely)

Played travian for 4 years, and all I got was:

Quote Originally Posted by Kafkaesque View Post
    In order to prevent this feature being compromised we will not be publishing the details of how the "real worth" of items is determined, however careful attention has been paid to make sure that the "real worth" will be fair.
    Could you at least give us some sort of indication on the 'real worth' value? Is it a constant value? Does it vary from server to server, domain to domain? Is there some sort of equation involved?

I ask because of the following situation if the value is a constant:

Player bids 10000 on 1 ointment.
    The system limits the bid to 100 silver.
    The player now knows that 1 ointment will be capped at 100 silver.
    Player subsequently bids 100 on all single ointment auctions.
    Player can never be outbid.

I realise this would be a very unlikely scenario to occur however I'd like to know if there is some sort of measure against this happening. I don't think it'd be an issue on this domain but where I'm currently playing on .com it wouldn't be too hard for an alliance/meta to completely control the auctions.
    I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast