Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Steve's T4 Roman Start Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Steve10 View Post
    Step 3c: Prey & Predators:

You'll be very close to the end of Beginners protection at this point so start looking out in your 13x13 for your victims in the first round of waves, because walls have become a thread I suggest looking for players under 9 population as they are unable to have a barracks and troops and unlikely to have a wall or have caught any animals in traps. These will be your first victims. At the same time make sure to find and avoid raiding any active looking Teutons in your area, remember them for later as they are likely to be going for the same farms you are.
    Not quite true. A player merely has to complete a single adventure, and they may have three troops - so a 2-pop Gaul may have three phalanx sitting in his village. Worse yet, they may even have found a 6x trap and gone out and caught 3 tigers and 3 crocodiles with it, without necessarily doing a thing to their population.

I think one of the key changes to T4 is the fact that there is no 100% safe raiding any more - you have to assume that you will lose troops now and then, and micro-raiding just got harder. Hence, despite losing their cranny-plunder, the Teuton is still at a big advantage in the early game with his cheap clubbies; and the Roman must expect to lose some of his expensive legionnaires now and then. So you're quite right to emphasise the increasing importance of scouts early on.

Step 8b: Choosing Your Location:

In Travian 4 there are a large number of 150% croppers in the middle of the map in an area called the Grey Zone, if you settle in the Grey Zone none of the villages you settle there will produce Culture Points. Also if you settle within the Grey Zone you will come under attack by a large number of natars with multiple catapult waves.
    What?! I presume that's some sort of joke...........?

Bonus Content: Using Cages & Artworks

Using Cages:

Don't bother buying any extra cages in an auction as I promise that later on you'll regret it later in the game when you realise the cages were overpriced and a couple of animals aren't going to cause a problem to even a medium sized force.

Artworks:

Artworks are very useful throughout the game and this means their prize on the auction block can go up massively, on the closed beta I saw one go for nearly 100K in silver, honestly the maximum they are worth is about 8K, don't pay anything above that. Don't use them as soon you get them, do some calculations, work out the point at which using the artwork will get you the most CP and let your hit the goal for your next village.

Not sure I'd agree about "don't buy cages" - though I admit, I'm still only getting a feel for the values of T4. It seems that the value of cagesearly on is not just getting yourself some free (and low-maintenance) defence, but also in being able to clear oases that you wouldn't otherwise be capable of. With micro-raiding getting harder, oasis raiding is likely to become more popular; and if you can trap half the animals in a meaty oasis and then kill the other half for XP, that's one more farming option for you. Meanwhile, of course, you're slowly stacking up crop-free defence as a further deterrent to raiders. I agree, though, that by mid-game they'll be worthless; but that early advantage may be worth it.

I'd also be hesitant about saying that any item is (or isn't) worth a given amount at auction. Bottom line is, they're all worthless (in terms of getting your money back); but within the game, they're worth whatever people are willing to pay for them, and that depends purely on how well-off and how determined they are. I dare say if Bill Gates gets addicted to Travian, he'd be more than happy to pay 8000 silver (80 gold - about $4) for an artwork.

Overall though, a fantastic guide, beautifully produced, and as a newbie to T4 I've learnt a lot from it - Rep to you!

Quote Originally Posted by aesculapian View Post
    Not quite true. A player merely has to complete a single adventure, and they may have three troops - so a 2-pop Gaul may have three phalanx sitting in his village. Worse yet, they may even have found a 6x trap and gone out and caught 3 tigers and 3 crocodiles with it, without necessarily doing a thing to their population. I think one of the key changes to T4 is the fact that there is no 100% safe raiding any more - you have to assume that you will lose troops now and then, and micro-raiding just got harder. Hence, despite losing their cranny-plunder, the Teuton is still at a big advantage in the early game with his cheap clubbies; and the Roman must expect to lose some of his expensive legionnaires now and then. So you're quite right to emphasise the increasing importance of scouts early on.
    That's true but you have to start somewhere, I do plan on editing the guide a bit more to include stuff like that and make it more clear that nothing's risk free. Teutons are still at a big advantage but I'd say it's been cut quite drastically, I know a Roman using my guide who's never been a raider before and he's doing about 60-65% of the top raiders are doing on T4, the next nearest guy is doing about 30% of the top raiders but I think it proves that Teutons are not the runaways any more, a bit of experience, activity and you can keep pace.

What?! I presume that's some sort of joke...........?
    No joke, I believe it's 28 waves of catapults. And your villages settled in the grey zone produce absolutely no Culture Points. I've played two T4 servers and learnt to my dismay that there's no CP.

Not sure I'd agree about "don't buy cages" - though I admit, I'm still only getting a feel for the values of T4. It seems that the value of cagesearly on is not just getting yourself some free (and low-maintenance) defence, but also in being able to clear oases that you wouldn't otherwise be capable of. With micro-raiding getting harder, oasis raiding is likely to become more popular; and if you can trap half the animals in a meaty oasis and then kill the other half for XP, that's one more farming option for you. Meanwhile, of course, you're slowly stacking up crop-free defence as a further deterrent to raiders. I agree, though, that by mid-game they'll be worthless; but that early advantage may be worth it.

I'd also be hesitant about saying that any item is (or isn't) worth a given amount at auction. Bottom line is, they're all worthless (in terms of getting your money back); but within the game, they're worth whatever people are willing to pay for them, and that depends purely on how well-off and how determined they are. I dare say if Bill Gates gets addicted to Travian, he'd be more than happy to pay 8000 silver (80 gold - about $4) for an artwork.
    Got a long reply to this, I'll reply again later when I have time.

Overall though, a fantastic guide, beautifully produced, and as a newbie to T4 I've learnt a lot from it - Rep to you!
    Thanks!
    .co.uk Forum Moderator
    TravianTales

No joke, I believe it's 28 waves of catapults. And your villages settled in the grey zone produce absolutely no Culture Points. I've played two T4 servers and learnt to my dismay that there's no CP.
    I have to confess, even after reading this, I still thought Steve was pulling my leg. But then I happened to be wandering around the map, and sure enough, there IS a grey zone. So I did a bit of searching - nothing much on any of the forums (except Steve's guide), nothing in the Devblog.

But then I found this. Scroll along to p26 - it's all true! I can't believe I hadn't come across this before...

Quote Originally Posted by aesculapian View Post
    I have to confess, even after reading this, I still thought Steve was pulling my leg. But then I happened to be wandering around the map, and sure enough, there IS a grey zone. So I did a bit of searching - nothing much on any of the forums (except Steve's guide), nothing in the Devblog.

But then I found this. Scroll along to p26 - it's all true! I can't believe I hadn't come across this before...
    Yeah it's a pretty limited known fact at the moment but as people begin to settle there they'll realize it's all true.
    .co.uk Forum Moderator
    TravianTales

Oh god, this Grey Zone sounds like a pain to me...

How come this wasn't in the DevBlog, it seems like a pretty important factor of T4...

Quote Originally Posted by DarthStuv View Post
    Oh god, this Grey Zone sounds like a pain to me...

How come this wasn't in the DevBlog, it seems like a pretty important factor of T4...
    They stopped updating the Dev Blog, originally they intended to have 20 posts, one each week covering everything in T4 but basically they just had problems getting updates out on time.
    .co.uk Forum Moderator
    TravianTales

Appreciated
    Ok, so we know the bad points of the Grey Zone - what benefits are there from settling there? It seems counter intuitive to remove the centre of the map from game-play for no apparent reason, so surely you can gain something out of settling there? A larger incidence of 150% croppers seems too little motivation personally.
    Last edited by biupSquid; 23rd February 2011 at 09:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by From page 26 of the .Com Travian Magazine 2011 - 01
    Get to Know the New Grey Natarian Area of T4

All Wonder of the World villages are located in the centre of the map right from the start of the server. If you take a look on the map, you will see a grey area in the centre. That is the area controlled by the Natarian tribe. No player will spawn in that area during account creation. Settling in the grey area is dangerous. The Natarian tribe will launch several attacking waves with catapults in an attempt to destroy the new village. If your village survives those attacks, no further attacks will follow. Villages located in that area do not produce any culture points. So if a player settles in that area and survives the attacks, that village will not produce any culture points, regardless of the buildings the player may build.

Natarian villages containing an artefact
    Unlike Wonder of the World villages, Natarian villages containing an artefact are not located on the map right from the start of the server. The villages will spawn randomly after several month.
    I guess as the WoW villages are located in the grey area...?

Appreciated
    Can you imagine trying to settle feeder villages in the grey zone to feed a WW though? If you have to defend them heavily to protect from Natarian attacks, there doesn't seem a huge benefit from it, since you then detract from troops that could be at the WW.

Likewise, building a village there early just so your WW village capturing hammer is closer seems a little pointless, particularly if that village isn't going to produce any CP at all for the entire game!

Of course, that's my attitude towards it. Heavier gold spenders may well feel otherwise!
    Last edited by biupSquid; 23rd February 2011 at 11:38 PM.

Of course biup, the upside is true.

If that quote is correct, and the WW villages are present from Day 0, picture the advantages of every player in a meta building two fully developed supplies right next door halfway through the server. Or building a few hammers next to each WW location in readiness to 0 pop them as soon as they're unbanned and cleared.

I can see a fair few interesting strategies coming up as a result of this feature. Shame they didn't announce it on the Trav 4 Dev Blog, it really seems like something they should've done.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast