View Poll Results: Should this guide remain in our Guides section?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it's a very useful, accurate and well-written guide for the version it was written for.

3 75.00%
  • Yes, but it needs some editing done for spelling and format.

1 25.00%
  • No, there are better guides already here on this topic.

0 0%
  • No, it's irrelevant/inaccurate/terribly written.

0 0%

Thread: Meatbags simming rant

Meatbags simming rant

Simming has somehow gotten a bad name. Many people fear growth and spend every resource available on troops to avoid being called a simmer. (and write silly things on their profile like 'troops >pop" "we made troops, not pop") To me, simming is one of the most crucial parts of the game. If you look at the largest hammers made without being pushed, you will find most were also in the top 20 pop of the server. To build a massive hammer requires a lot of resources. Raiding alone is a very time consuming and difficult method of acquiring resources. Efficient simming can give you enough of your own resources to build that hammer as well as being able to feed it. Anvil accounts also need high resource production. Simply put, the more resources you have, the more troops you can make. The more troops you can make, the better your account will be.

In the beginning of a round, priority should be put on settling as many villages as quickly as possible. The quicker you can get your village count up, the quicker you will be able to make troops 24/7. If you want one of the biggest hammers of the server, you need to get your resource production high enough to run all five troop buildings 24/7 as soon as you can. If you are playing just to kill, you still need to get your resource production high enough so you can build your hammers and rebuild them quickly. Without a well developed account, as soon as you splat on a good defence or get found at home you might as well delete. If you develop your account quickly you can afford to lose troops and still be able to rebuild.

How do I do it?

Parties and culture points are the main factor in quick simming. Culture points are the main limitation of quick expansion. You cannot settle without them. If you arenít making high culture points somehow, your growth will fall behind the pack and it will be difficult to catch up. To keep yourself ahead of the pack you need to be doing a few things. Firstly, the moment you have culture points for another village, settlers should already be on the way. No need to be delaying expansion. You can send your settlers on ther way before you have enough CP, as long as you have the required poins for a new village by the time they reach their destination. Secondly, you want to be throwing as many parties as possible. Parties alone will make much more cp than anything else combined. Without them you will be lucky to keep within the top 100.

http://help.travian.com/index.php?type=faq&mod=532 Here is a great link which lets you know how many culture points you need for each village.

As a rough guide, by the time you have a second village you should have the infrastructure in your spawn to throw a small party. By the time you have settled village three you should be partying 24/7 in your spawn and be close to having parties in village two. The following villages should be throwing parties or be very close to it before you settle another. By the time you have 10 villages, you should be looking at throwing big parties in one or two vills. If you have maxxed out your resource fields in a village, you should definatly be throwing big parties 24/7! This early in the game there is no need to be concerned about your total pop rank. What you should be looking at is the number of villages you have. This will be the best indication of how well you are doing.

To give you an idea of how critical parties are, last round, for villages 5 - 10 The first thing I did in each village was insta build town halls and got a party going. I know of quite a few people who have done this as well. No fields, no walls, no silly buisness. Just straight into buisness with a main building and academy and sufficient warehouse space.

Village choice

When taking a new village it is important which village you take. I tend to take as many nine and fifteen croppers in my area until there are none left. This is not necessary and probably requires far more gold than taking normal six croppers, however it does mean at end game I have less crop problems. It also deters other people from moving in too close to my area. There is nothing worse than being surrounded by top robbers / big chiefers / strong enemies and having to share your immediate area with them. By taking the croppers nearby it is less likely someone will settle their capital right next to you and settle in for the long run. Of course it is nice to have a few defenders nice and close. If they are competent enough they should be able to get a close cropper before you take them all, otherwise you might want to look into how worthwhile they are as a defender or leave one in reserve for them.

Another method is to take villages with oasisís in mind. This means settling nearby villages that can each take two or three good oasis. Good oasis management can give a huge increase in your overall production so it is wise to be looking to secure as many as possible. Due the high price of a level 20 hero mansion and the infrastructure required, I avoid taking more than two oasis in a non capital. A good way to select your next village is by looking for the resources you need most. For example a teuton needs a lot of wood. Look for a 5 wood village that has two wood oasis in its 7x7. That will boost your wood production nicely. Itís also worth favouring oasis with both a res and crop bonus. Single resource oasis (i.e just wood) only gives a 25% bonus. However a combined oasis will give 25% res bonus as well as a 25% crop bonus, and you can never have enough crop!

Once you have settled a new village it is important to develop it efficiently. A good tip to remember early on is, if it does not make more resources or more troops donít build it. A lot of res can be wasted and growth delayed by building useless buildings. I tend to start new villages in the following order.
    Main building level 3
    Warehouse / granary level 10 - to make it easier to ship in resources from other villages
    Market place level 1
    Resource tiles.

At this point, you want to be pouring everything you can into resource tiles. The quicker you can get the tiles built, the less resources you need to ship in from other elsewhere. For those that use a lot of gold, it can pay to instant build the main building to level 20. Then the rest of the village will grow much quicker and wonít require you to gold up as many of the slower buildings. Remember to keep an eye on your culture points. You will want to start building a residance and get ready to settle once you have enough.

One small thing to remember is to not get caught up using your capitals resources to build new villages. If you read my other rant on capital development, I don't like to ship any resources out of my capital unless absolutly neccersary. For me that means I only ship resources out if troops ques are going to stop. You really need to sim your capital up as quick as possible which will require some major resources.

Mid game

By mid game, you should be well and truly in the top 50 - 100 for pop. At this point you want to change tactics in a few ways.

Firstly, If you have 9 - 10 villages with maxxed out resource fields, you should be well on the way to building your main hammer, or anvil for D bunnies. Parties can become a little more relaxed if needed to keep troop ques going. There is no point making huge amounts of resources if you don't use them effectivly. Get those troops going! Early game you should have resources ready to throw another party the minute one stops. By mid game there is no harm not running a party for a few hours. Just be sure to keep as many as you can going and keep the resource fields upgrading.

http://speed.travian.com.au/dorf3.php?s=4 You can see which villages are currently partying here if you use plus. (insert server address here)/dorf3.php?s=4 for those weird people who dont play speed.

Secondly, It might be time to look into chiefing. From mid - end game you will generally find the top pop players have chiefed the majority of their villages. There is a few reasons for this. For me its just because chiefing is much easier. Once you have a lot of villages and trying to maintain a top robbers position as well as multiple hammers qued, it takes a lot of effort to keep flicking back to a newly settled village to upgrade a lvl 2 field. The accepted pop for a chiefed village is around 500 as well. So you instantly get a huge boost in overall pop compared to settling. The icing on the cake is you get a chance to clear out potential threats in your area and get a few off points.

Finally you want sufficient warehouse space and mercheant space to ship the massa amounts of resources you are now making.

There is nothing worse than logging on to 40 villages overflowing and trying to que a hammer with limited mercheants to move res. At minimum you want two warehouses and two granaries in each village. Marketplace needs to be level 20 quite early and your trade office should be upgraded whenever you can. Around level 14 TO's are quite affordable. That alone will save you a lot of effort come end game or when you don't have much time to play.

End game

By end game, simming certainly does become a dirty word. There becomes a point where the resources you spend on parties will never pay itself off. If your goal is to get a top pop position or set a record for chiefing, by all means throw those parties. My last two rounds I continued throwing parties until around village 50. Even with duals and massive online time, this was just stupid to manage. It quite often took 2 - 3 hrs just to flick through all the villages to get buildings upgrading, parties started and excess resources on the way to the hammer. I doubt I will go further than 40 villages again. As long as you have enough to keep your hammers and anvils qued, the rest is just showing off. Res that you are spending could be more effective by throwing it into troop ques, or finishing off your capital if you hvaen't already.

Anyway, my beverage is now empty and requires urgent attention. I hope my ranting is helpful to someone. Feel free to add your opinions and discuss.

RIP Mathy. Forever loved!

I wouldn't mind hearing people thoughts on simming as a non raiding non gold user. Should you look to settle as much and as often as possible or develop what you have 1st and then settle etc etc (for non croppers that is)?

Always settle as fast as possible, regardless of gold.

It seems difficult at first, but you get to a point where all your fields are maxed out, but you don't yet quite have enough resources to build a hammer or massive anvil.

At that point you are stuck. No CP to make more villages / more res. and nothing that neds upgrading.

If you spam villages as quick as possible, you will always have a newly developing village to pump res into.

The quicker you can get villages, the more res you will end up with.

Quote Originally Posted by paddles View Post
    non raiding non gold user.

what is the point ?

Don't need gold to make troops.

Nor do you need to raid. It just speeds up the whole process.

Quote Originally Posted by twiglet View Post
    what is the point ?
    Phailanx Hammer FTW. Ooh also the inherent politics and the sticking it to the man part is fun too.

A ask this meatbag, because on the current au3 server, i left to go boonie sim up a small hammer and potential rammer. I was facing the dilemna of building infrastructure or troops in cap hammer at the same time as growing villages. After the first 6 vilages i caught up to my cp for next village. At village 8, i had only 2 villages at level 10 fields and the rest were something like levels 7 5 3 1. At this point i kind of lost interest in the server and became somewhat lazy inactive i.e i'd log in 2 times a day for 15 minutes or so. Long story short, i think the less one is active, the less they should try to expand as they'll just end up like me with lots of villages with low res production. But i guess this goes without saying, oh wells.

"Limit" your "Edition" Limited_Edition's Avatar
    I normally build 300 clubs to get 2nd village fast and then get a 15c 150% before someone else!

Then I focus on more clubs while pushing to V2 to get V3
    and that way I build fast

paddles, if ur on au3 let me know ill teach you how to use phalanx.

If u want to see a sim city account, igm me on au2 "rhea"

@meatbag, good set of pointers, i agree with you recent comment where you mention, that you will have res, and nothing that needs upgrading, i do find that at a certain point CP income becomes cruicial, and useless things, such as acadamy/townhall, should be built purely for its cp income value. Other things, such as level 20 residence, are pricy, but essiential so that you can keep all village expansion slots open if your future offense vills.
    (ill reread it and if this is already mentioned then ill edit this post)

Quote Originally Posted by lone ranger View Post
    paddles, if ur on au3 let me know ill teach you how to use phalanx.

If u want to see a sim city account, igm me on au2 "rhea"

@meatbag, good set of pointers, i agree with you recent comment where you mention, that you will have res, and nothing that needs upgrading, i do find that at a certain point CP income becomes cruicial, and useless things, such as acadamy/townhall, should be built purely for its cp income value. Other things, such as level 20 residence, are pricy, but essiential so that you can keep all village expansion slots open if your future offense vills.
    (ill reread it and if this is already mentioned then ill edit this post)
    I am on au3, and i have a modest total of 4 phalanx. Bit of a waste of time trying to teach me how to use them.

Yay a meaningful take on that dirty word "Simming"! It seems that the title of 'Raider' carries much higher kudos than that of 'SIMMER"! ... well, that's how I'm reading it from these forums.

I have always thought that ALL accounts MUST have an element of simming in their processes ... expansion, troop queueing, WWK building and of course WW building/supplying!

When starting a new account, you generally need to sim up as fast as possible to build the required infrastructure and CP's to go to that ever important 2nd village. Building hammers of any size requires simming too.

So for all those that preach that "Simming" is laughable, I ask how do you define then, when one is a SIMMER (given that we all sim at different phases of the game), and when one can don the title of RAIDER????

This has often been perplexing to me! ..................................................