View Poll Results: Should this guide remain in our Guides section?

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it's a very useful, accurate and well-written guide for the version it was written for.

1 50.00%
  • Yes, but it needs some editing done for spelling and format.

1 50.00%
  • No, there are better guides already here on this topic.

0 0%
  • No, it's irrelevant/inaccurate/terribly written.

0 0%

Thread: Importance of a developed Capital

Importance of a developed Capital

Capitals are the most under utilised villages people take advantage of. I see a lot who are too scared to upgrade the higher levelled crop tiles due to the cost or time involved. Others do some strange maths and see that they will not pay themselves off. Come endgame everyone is begging for crop. Anvil players, hammer players, WW holders all struggle for crop and it is near impossible to find someone else to help feed troops for you. A well developed capital makes life much easier. No matter what type of game you are playing everyone should be at minimum aiming for level 17 tiles. Without this your account from mid - end game is going to be a PITA to deal with.

Why do I need one

A capital is about convenience. Of course a player can have fifty villages and spread troops out amongst them to feed troops. However this still wonít give you enough crop and is rather hard to deal with when you have incoming on every village. It makes it hard to continue growth as there is rarely enough crop available to upgrade buildings or throw parties. A well developed capital means you can have one safe place to store your troops. It will have a very high crop production to make storing troops much more livable. It allows you to sleep or enjoy life while only worrying about one village rather than all of them.

If you wish to withdraw your hammer to actually use it, feeding it can become painful. Without a well developed capital it requires a lot of time to send res to feed it, and will often find yourself tied at the computer all day NPCing hard res into crop just to keep troops alive. With a good capital you can log on every couple of hours, send your merchants to the hammer on go 3x and get back to your normal sad sadistic life. The other option is to send small tiny shipments one by one from all your normal villages, often NPCing clay and iron into crop and sending, sitting in chat rooms begging for crop and hassling your leaders to send MMs with information of your hammer village. If you need to be sat while you sleep, it will be extremely hard finding someone willing to put in that much effort to feed your troops. If you havenít made it easy for them, expect starvation.

Some random calculations to look at

A typical 15c with 100% oasis bonus and level 17 fields can generate 182k crop per hour (61k on a normal server) something that should be easily achieved by everyone. A rare 15c with 150% oasis bonus and lvl 19s will make 337k crop per hour (112k on a normal server). This is the equivalent of having seventeen or more normal villages in total resource production, hence why they are so highly valued. I would expect your average player to make 200k worth of troops easily (not sure on normal server numbers). Those with duals and a better grasp of the game should be aiming for 300 Ė 400k or up to a 1 million for a WW hammer. As you can see even a well developed capital is going to struggle to feed most players troops alone. But without it there is little to no chance! I will not go into any calculations of a 9c or 6c as this guide is meant for good players.

Pay offs

Many people get caught up with the pay off of higher level fields. A single level 19 field costs 2.5 million resources. With 150% oasis it only makes 22500 res per hour. For this field to pay itself off would take 4.6 days alone. To upgrade all 15 tiles would take 70 days. This is without considering the payoffs of previous levels as well. If you didnít manage to secure one of the rare 150% croppers it will take even longer and mostly will not pay themselves off no matter what. However, you will still find people making them. In fact you will find the top teutons even looking at making higher fields now with the availability of great warehouse artefact. Ignore the maths behind payoffs altogether because in the end, convenience has no price. Sure you may end up losing resources overall, you will not regret it. It is not difficult to build a 300k hammer, and if you havenít worked on the crop supplies early it is extremely difficult to catch up and get ahead.

Infrastructure

So, then comes the important stuff, how to develop your capital. I will make two things clear before I continue. Firstly, only EVER make a 15 cropper your capital! If you make any other type of village your capital, please stop disrespecting my guide and stop reading now. There is no debate on 9c or 7c. The only village any decent player should have is a 15 cropper. Secondly, capital hammers suck! If you are making a capital hammer not only is it going to be small and weak, but you will also limit your warehouse capacity which in return means a poorly developed capital. While many mediocre players can and have done well with capital hammers, this guide is meant to lead you to becoming a great player. So now is the time to step up and make some changes.

As I mentioned earlier everyone should be able to make level 17 fields at minimum. This is reasonably easy for an active player, and if you do well, it will still be nowhere near enough to feed your troops. As such it is a minimum goal. Take careful note of this and plan your infrastructure as necessary. The cost for building a level 17 field is 256k wood 329k clay 256k Iron and 73k crop. To do this you will need five warehouses and two granaries. As you are building your capital you should always have this in the back of your mind so you do not build other infrastructure that will need to be torn down. There are 21 places inside a village to build so plenty of space, however there is some important things that will not be optional. These are your rally point, Main building, grain mill, bakery, marketplace and heroís mansion. That is six buildings already as well as 7 for the storage. This leaves you eight places to use at your own choice. However even these can still be limited. I usually have 5 granaries at minimum. This gives you much more time before you will start overflowing, and also later in the game it means if it goes into negative crop with your hammer stored, you have a lot more time before you need to log on again to fill it up. I also have a trade office at level 20. When your hammer is withdrawn, this makes it much easier to get crop to the desired village to feed. Also, during the first half of the game, crop is mainly NPCíd into other resources to queue troops. Moving these resources can take a lot of effort without a trade office. If you are going to make a trade office, remember there is a lot of pre requisites you need as well. Barracks, academy, blacksmith, stable. If you donít get these out of the way early, you might not have enough room to build them. I suggest getting them down when you around level 15, and then destroying them to continue on with your fields and storage.

Stonemasons can be a huge nuisance to people attempting to destroy you. I havenít had them in the past, but they cannot be underestimated. At level 20 people will need 3x as many cats to destroy your fields. That means sending 300 Ė 400 cats per wave. This gets rather risky to send and expensive to lose to snipes. I have been known to avoid zero popping a semi active players capital purely due to the presence of a stonemason and the catapults required. So I would recommend having one. However it is low priority.

Summary Ė You have 21 spaces to build. For level 17 fields you will most likely have
    5x warehouses
    5 x granaries
    Rally point, Market, Main building, Grain mill, Bakery, Stonemason, trade office and heroes mansion. This only leaves you two places for buildings of your choice. Most people will have a residence or palace, but this can be torn down once you have used the expansion slots. I generally recommend more granaries but itís up to you.

If you are going all out and aiming for level 19ís, you will need 12 warehouses and 3 granaries. This means there is literally no room for excess granaries or a trade office / stonemason. To do this requires a fair bit of gold to NPC. With only 3 granaries you will be NPCing every hour or so and will need to NPC 10 + times for each crop field. There are two common tactics to help here. You can set up a village next door full of granaries and NPC there instead. This can save a lot of gold but it does also require a lot more work shipping the resources between the two. Another tactic is to temporarily remove the grain mills and heroes mansion and make more granaries. Once the fields are all up you can then demolish a few warehouses and replace the essential buildings and make more granaries.

Building

The final question is how to build all this and in what order. Killroid is very helpful for those wanting the most efficient way to upgrade resources. http://travian.kirilloid.ru/villages...&view_t=1&fs=3 The important thing is you get stuck into your capitals fields as early as possible and always have something building. I settle my desired capital first and always manage to get the fields maxed out to lvl 10 well before the spawn. You will need to change capitals to extend the fields further and you want to do this early. Once you have a decent production it is tempting to use your capitals res to que troops or build other villages. Don't get caught in this trap or you will struggle to keep ahead of the crowd.

You want to be keeping all your capitals production in your cap and using to keep building fields. I also ship excess crop / res from other villages into it when NPCing and upgrade more croptiles as quicky as possible. Only ship res out when you are desperate or it will slow you down majorly.

Try to keep infrastructure to a minimum. If you only need a lvl 10 warehouse to build the next level of tiles, only make a lvl 10 warehouse. You want to be focusing on increasing your production, not your population. You can get fields reasonably high with minimal infrastructure. At level 15 you only need two warehouses so it is a good time to get pre requisites done for trade offices and stonemasons if you are going to make them, and then start demolishing them. Donít forget to get your heroes mansion up as well and take some oasis to boost your production.

What to do with it

Generally for the first half of the game, you will have masses of excess crop. This can deter many from upgrading further, however it is important to push on, or you will be in trouble later. The easiest solution is to NPC the crop into other resources to queue troops or upgrade the next crop field. If you are on a tight budget or do not use gold at all this might not be an option. You can however offer to feed someone elseís troops (generally big teutons will always be needing crop) in return they can send you other resources, or offer other killing services for you. Such as taking out anyone that attacks you, or clearing oasis etc. Just remember that it will all pay off eventually. There is nothing worse than being short on crop come end game, or having to borg a hammer because you couldnít feed it.

There is another one of my rambles that may help someone. comments and slow server additions are welcome.

RIP Mathy. Forever loved!

A question: up to what level is it worth developing the non-crop tiles of a 15C capital?

Given that you definitely won't have 'factories' - and probably won't have non-crop oases - to give them a bonus, the return on investment will be pretty poor. I'm sure there must be a point at which it's a better investment to build a new village than to pour thousands of res into non-crop capital tiles; but I don't know where that point is. I usually stop (fairly arbitrarily) at L10.

What do other people do?

Depends how much gold you spend, aesc. If you NPC a fair bit, then production is production, irrespective of what type of resource. A level x crop field is always cheaper than a level x non crop field. But a level x + 1 crop field is more expensive than a level x non crop field, once return rates are factored in (at 0% bonus). Take your oases bonuses for crop, work out the return rate per each level, and upgrade accordingly. Generally, at the higher levels, take all crop to level x +1, then the three non crop, rinse and repeat.

All <3 to Hmphy-Bunny for the sig.

VVV, as usual your simple incisiveness provides the insight to my answer - but I have to disagree with your conclusion ("take all crop to level x+1, then the non-crop, rinse and repeat").

Here are lots of numbers:

Basically, I've calculated how much it costs to develop each resource-field level; how much resource that field level will produce hourly (I've not deducted the hourly crop cost for that level, which becomes negligible as levels increase); and how much time it takes to pay itself off. Assumptions are:

1. Non-speed server
    2. Your capital has a Grain Mill and Bakery, but no Sawmill, Brickyard or Iron Foundry
    3. Your capital has at least 100% (if not 125% or 150%) crop oases, but no non-crop oases.
    4. No 'Plus' bonuses are running. Although the numbers will be different, the conclusions will still be the same if you have all four 'Plus' bonuses running. If you have Plus 25% on crop but not on the others - well, then do your own darn spreadsheet.

As you can see, the huge production bonuses from oases and crop factories mean that you can build your capital crop fields all the way up to L10 or 11 before it becomes worth building L1 non-crop fields, for an equally efficient return on investment. Looking further down the table:
    L16 cropfields are a better investment than L12-13 non-crop fields;
    L17 cropfields are better than L14 non-crop fields;
    L18 cropfields are better than L15 non-crop fields;
    L19 cropfields are better than L16 non-crop fields;
    and L17 non-crop fields are arguably never worth building.

It still doesn't quite answer the question of when you're better off building another village than investing in higher-level capital fields - but that starts getting complicated...........

Edit: Sorry the table got scaled down - though you can still click on it to link through to a full-size version.
    Last edited by aesculapian; 12th October 2010 at 10:26 PM.