View Poll Results: Should this guide remain in our Guides section?

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it's a very useful, accurate and well-written guide for the version it was written for.

0 0%
  • Yes, but it needs some editing done for spelling and format.

1 100.00%
  • No, there are better guides already here on this topic.

0 0%
  • No, it's irrelevant/inaccurate/terribly written.

0 0%

Thread: Meatbags guide to raiding

Meatbags guide to raiding

Raiding can be a rather mindless boring task, it can also cause the most internal problems for any alliance. Most people know the advantages of having a good raid income and others will preach it’s the only way to acquire resources. Efficient raiding certainly has the potential to turn a good account into a great account. It can also demoralise every potential player in your area leaving you no nearby competition or chief able villages later on.

Why Raid

Early on, before your villages have fully developed fields and you are struggling to find the resources to grow, raiding will often be the best avenue to develop quickly. It’s also a great way to pass time while saving up for a field or a party etc. It can give you something to do and give you a good knowledge of the competition and enemies in your area. You will often find the biggest threats to deal with are the top 10 robbers. What these top robbers are doing is raiding everyone they can find and using their resources to make more troops, this in turn means they can rob more and effectively get their hammer into full production well before the simmer style players. With the extra resources, they also have the ability to throw parties more often and develop higher levelled fields much easier, which gives them a huge head start on the rest of the server. Players who neglect raiding will often find themselves either lacking in troops or struggling to keep up with the top players. They won’t have much knowledge of who is nearby and who needs dealing with either. Even if you are a defensive player it is easy to find a few low pop troop less players around. Just a few res here and there are always helpful to get you ahead.

Micro Raiding
    The first thing to understand is that huge bounties are few and far between. You will be extremely lucky to find a player that you can raid once a day and get 200k+ resources out of. If you do find one it will only be a matter of time until others start raiding them too. The majority of raiding incomes come from hundreds of micro raids. Gathering 3- 400 resources at a time out of lots of different players is likely to get you far more resources than looking for big hits of a few thousand at a time. This means having troops constantly on the move in small forces. In the first week or two, I rarely send more than two or three troop in each raid, and send hundreds of these all over the map.

Who to Farm
    A lot of people want farms served up on a silver platter, and this can often lead to disputes over farming rights. I believe the best farms aren’t those that have low pop and no troops, but those that are actually trying half heartedly to play. I like to find reasonably high pop player, kill all their troops and then begin farming. A higher pop player generally has a much higher resource production so you will be able to steal a lot more from them. It also gives you a great opportunity to clear your area and get some offence points. Even the top robbing teutons nearby can be turned into great farms. Never be afraid to go one on one with one of them. All you need to do is find them offline and you can easily take out a major threat to your area. You will also find the rest of the nearby farms much more productive.

My favourite technique is rather harsh and probably doesn’t help the lower player base, however it has proven successful. I go around and find the highest pop non cropper capitals around and crop lock them. This means taking out all crop fields, granary, market place, and for extra harshness, the main building and residence. By doing so you have eliminated their chances of making or holding troops and taken away the villages natural defences so you don’t lose a troop each raid. I don’t do this to non caps unless it is someone annoying though, as I would much prefer to let the village grow and chief it later on.

Sending Raids
    Once you have an established list of farms there is quite a few different methods to getting raids out. The important thing is just being active enough to get them out quickly and often. My favourite is the new gold club lists. These make things ridiculously easy to constantly have mass raids out often. If you go to your rally point, and select gold club, there is an option down the bottom to set your standard farming troops. Depending on the stage of the game and how many troops you have, set it accordingly. I play around with it all the time depending on how good the farms are. I.E. week one Ill send 2 -3 troops per raid. By end game it will be closer to 500 troops per raid.

Select the farms that are making you are profit and select them as your favourites by clicking the +/-buttons the selected farms. - means you have selected it as a favourite. Now when you go to your map overview screen you should get something like this.

I use fire fox mostly but the following method does work on others browsers. Once you are on this page, you can press ctrl and click or middle click (the scroll wheel on your mouse) each of the village links. I usually do twenty at a time. That will open them all in a new tab. These tabs you have opened will already be set up by default to raid each village with the number of troops you have set as standard in your rally point. Then all you have to do is hover your mouse pointer over the ‘o.k.’ button and click it. With your other hand if you press ‘ctrl’ + ‘tab’ it will change to the next opened tab you have. Your mouse will still be hovering over the O.K. button on this new page so you can just click it again quickly and repeat until you have made it through all your open tabs. There is one final page to confirm sending the raid off which you can use the exact same method with and you have successfully just sent out twenty raids. Once you get used to this you can easily send out 100 raids in a minute or two and get back to whatever it is you do in R/L or spend some time simming.

Another method I use is to raid via reports. It is much slower and time consuming but can be more efficient if you don’t have many troops. To raid this way I open up a report, read how many resources I stole and re send troops according to how many will take all available resources without wasting excess troops. I would usually open up 5 – 10 reports at a time in new tabs to make this a bit quicker. The important thing with this method is that you must always resend troops no matter what, unless you can remember to resend later. Otherwise you will lose the farm off your cycle and it is have to find it again to get it back on. I tend to use this method later on when I only have a few big paying farms left. Some will need 5k troops at a time and will continually pull in big bounties, others will only need a few hundred. With this method, the easy way to know where you are up to is any unread reports need to be resent, if they have been read you can delete/ignore them assuming you have acted on them.

There are numerous other methods such as using bookmarks and using excel spreadsheets however I haven’t done that myself. If someone wants to explain their methods I will be happy to add it in.

Ettiquette
    A few things to remember when it comes to raiding are the way it can just completely ruin someone’s game. If you are not getting resources from a nearby neighbour, yet are still attacking them every 10 minutes it can get rather frustrating. If they message you to stop, it can often pay to be friendly at least in your reply. Perhaps just explaining why you are raiding or what they can do to make you stop can often lead to a new D bunny, a tip on other heavy raiders in the area or even allowing you to chief them later on.

If you are hitting every single village within a 50 square radius every 10 minutes, you may also find your nearby allies building resentment. Especially if you are a cranny dipping teuton you can almost destroy your allies games as well by leaving them nothing to raid themselves. When playing a micro raiding teut I often ask nearby friends if there is any farms in particular they want left alone. You will barely even notice losing 2 -3 farms and will find yourself much more appreciated and looked after by your alliance. When looking for farms, looking where your allies are getting good bounties from is unacceptable. There are several sites that can help find inactives for you. http://travian.ws http://www.traviantoolbox.com /index.php?lang=en http://www.gettertools.com all can help find inactives.

I prefer to just find them the old fashioned way. I look for players that don’t have any reports on them from my allies. You can either scout them or just take a gamble and send a small raiding force. Don’t be put off if you find a few troops. Consider it an opportunity to kill something. You will usually find much bigger bounties if you are the first to attack a player. If several others are already farming a village you will have to fight it out with them over scraps and it can often lead to arguments over who has the right to farm said village.

Report watchers
    Farming rights are something that is up to your alliances stance. However there is always bound to be arguments over who gets to farm a village and others that watch reports to find the big farms. If someone clears a reasonable amount of troops to make a farm, it is only polite to let them get first dibs for a day or two. If I notice a particularly big clear I will leave the village alone altogether to the clearer. However if someone starts raiding a village that you just cleared it is vital you don’t abuse them right away. It can often be an honest mistake or they genuine stumbled across it at the same time as you. Even if it was a blatant vulture, abusing them will never get you far. My best advice is to message the player in a very friendly tone and just explain that you lost quite a few troops on the village, and provide them with a report. More often than not they will be happy to leave it alone. If not it is up to your alliances policies. Some don’t have a policy in which case you just have to deal with it. Others have a set time where the clearer gets sole rights in which case you need to discuss the matter with your leader. It frustrates me to no end both being on the receiving end of vultures and dealing with these issues as a leader. The only advice I can give when feeling hard done by is suck it up and vent your frustrations on a nearby enemy capital.
    Last edited by meatbag; 10th October 2010 at 07:57 AM.

RIP Mathy. Forever loved!

Wink

I really liked the guide, I do much of the same things as you +rep

I like the guide, hard work meatbag

PS : I +repped you with my 0 rep power
    Last edited by Corvus Corax; 21st December 2012 at 07:36 PM.

Former game supporter on AuX and Au2
    Contact me : Imperial@travianteam.com

it sill needs some major editing. English was never one of my strengths..

I have a few other massive walla of text I have written but they need more editing and are probably more of a ramble than a guide.

Good to see you added headings, it absolutely killed me to read it as a solid block of text, and I'm used to reading like that...

"Limit" your "Edition" Limited_Edition's Avatar
    I really like this guide Well done meatbag

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    Good to see you added headings, it absolutely killed me to read it as a solid block of text, and I'm used to reading like that...

I actually struggled to read it myself.