View Poll Results: Should this guide remain in our Guides section?

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it's a very useful, accurate and well-written guide for the version it was written for.

0 0%
  • Yes, but it needs some editing done for spelling and format.

1 100.00%
  • No, there are better guides already here on this topic.

0 0%
  • No, it's irrelevant/inaccurate/terribly written.

0 0%

Thread: Tribe Selection

Tribe Selection

The tribe you choose should be a reflection of the style of game you want to play combined with an honest assessment of how much time you have to dedicate to the game and a brief consideration of your “Travian experience.”

Consider the bullet points and briefs below and then refer to the tribe-specific guide section for more in-depth coverage.

Teutons
    Bonuses: Cranny dip, brewery
    Best for: Players willing to invest a lot of time to ensure constant raiding
    Helpful additions: Gold spending for NPC, dual (or trio)
    Minimum experience recommended: Moderate

Teutons tend to work best for those that have either a lot of time to invest early in the round or a trusted and capable dual (or trio) to help them share the load. They tend to be heavily reliant on raiding by virtue of having the cheapest already-available troop in the maceman (alternately called “clubby”). Maces are able to pay for themselves in just 5 raids (4.17 to be exact) if they carry off a full load each time. Additionally, they have the bonus of the cranny dip which allows a Teuton to carry off any stored resources above 80% of the raided player’s cranny limit. This is critical to early raiding success.

This heavy reliance on raiding to maximize the tribe’s benefits also means that they are best handled by a player with a bit of Travian experience.

Gauls
    Bonuses: 2x capacity crannies, trapper building
    Best for: Players wanting flexibility to go offensive or defensive with less time investment.
    Helpful things: an analytical bent to make raiding more efficient.
    Minimum experience recommended: Novices

Gauls, by virtue of their 2x cranny and trapper (more on these in a bit) are often portrayed as the “defensive” tribe. However, while they can certainly be played in that style, their troops allow considerable flexibility in approach and tend to be a middle-of-the-road option for offense. Gaul troops are cheaper than Roman troops but more expensive than Teutonic ones. However, their wheat efficiency (attack/wheat consumed) is better than the Teutons while less than the Romans. Finally, on the whole they are the fastest tribe.

The 2x cranny will allow a Gaul to not spend quite as much time tending his account since it is much easier to keep resources away from raiding troops. This in turn allows a player to sim or tech up without fear of becoming a farm or making his village look like a forest. The trapper provides a limited deterrent value to more casual raiders in the beginning stages since raiders rely on their troops for production. Loss of these troops means slower development. Very serious raiders will likely care not a bit about the trapper once 3-5 days have elapsed on a server.

Romans
    Bonuses: Double-build, horse-drinking pool (HDP), trade-office gives 20% bonus per level
    Best for: Team defensive players or serious WWK class hammers
    Helpful things: Patience and planning!
    Minimum experience recommended: 1 server

Despite being the recommended “balanced” tribe for new players by Travian for a long time, Romans are arguably the most difficult to utilize effectively – at least early on. Romans do not have any natural deterrents to being raided early on like Gauls (2x cranny/trapper) and Teutons (fear of retribution). Their merchants are also the worst on a metric of throughput (carry capacity*speed), although this is mitigated in the trade office stage of development. Finally, their troops are the most expensive and their special ability – double build – is worthless until the account's villages are developed enough to provide ample resources to utilize it and can be duplicated by the other tribes with gold use of insta-build. So why choose Roman?

First, if you want the most wheat-efficient hammer (and for very large ones, this becomes important), Romans are tops. The imperian is the best attacker in this category and with the HDP, Roman cavalry also gets a boost. The light-cavalry EI is also a decent raider.

The second reason is if you are part of a team that plans on competing for the WW. Roman praetorians (prats), are the most wheat-efficient defenders vs. infantry in the game and since the bulk of a hammer will be infantry, prats become invaluable to any anvil.

Finally, the double-build ability does allow for a non-gold using Roman to develop support villages at a far faster rate than either a Gaul or Teuton without gold.
    Last edited by Lord_Autumnbottom; 30th August 2010 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Changed commentary on double-build.
    AU1/RD2 - Huggington

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Autumnbottom View Post
    Finally, their troops are the most expensive and their special ability double build is worthless until later in the game and can be duplicated by the other tribes with gold. So why choose Roman?
    Lord A, have to disagree with you here.

Gold queuing is a sequential build. The Roman ability builds both simultaneously. In a game that is so restricted by what you do with the time available to you, the ability to build a field and a building simultaneously is much stronger than people realise - even if you only ever use the ability to be building fields whilst also building MB or Embassy/Academy for CP. For people who aren't as willing to blow Gold the way that you and I do, it's especially useful.

I do, however, agree that it's a minimum one server tribe. You're not going to make use of it unless you know what you're doing, you have to be raiding sufficiently to be able to keep both queues going. From villa 2 onwards, it's particularly powerful.

All <3 to Hmphy-Bunny for the sig.

I was more referring to the use of instabuild (combined with queuing, I suppose). While the Romans double-build is nice as you point out, it's not worth much until village 3 or so. And the gold abuser can definitely get a reasonable facsimile of double-build with instant completion. I would throw in that Romans get a better value from their gold since you could get more completed with instabuild.

As for the gold, I actually don't use it. Which brings me to a separate issue that you allude to. There are vastly more options available to the gold user and abuser. When writing these guides, I'm torn between keeping them "gold-free" since the novice likely won't spend the $ until he gets into the game more.

At any rate, I appreciate the comments. My hope is we all come to a consensus to make good guides.
    AU1/RD2 - Huggington

I think you need different versions for with and without gold.

Quote Originally Posted by VVV View Post
    I think you need different versions for with and without gold.
    Yeah, I'm discovering that more and more as this project gets underway. In the other thread, I mentioned writing everything from the perspective of a non-gold user and then having little sidebar type things called "Gold Notes" that just expound on the additional options/flexibility that gold use in a certain situation would provide. Any thoughts on that approach to things?

Also, I added a little more commentary to Romans on the double-build. My first time out in Travian I was Roman. (Hence my 1 server experience comment.) It was definitely true that I could bring a village up faster - without gold - once I had the resource stream to support it. But early on, double-build is pretty useless.
    AU1/RD2 - Huggington

Yeah, there's probably not sufficient differences to need totally different guides, gold ntoes should do the trick.

romans rocket up really fast as long as you have the resources available like in mid game when your developing your offence villa, capital, defense villa and in general your supply villas. but you can only do this if you play from the start and that is really hard.

also add the fact that the cost of settlers and chiefs
    gaul- cheif = expensive, settler = cheap
    teuton- chief = cheap, settler = expensive
    roman- cheif = mid, settler = mid
    I'm Back Baby.... then ill probs be gone again.... im ninja
    A hidden message WOW

Quote Originally Posted by VVV View Post
    I do, however, agree that it's a minimum one server tribe. You're not going to make use of it unless you know what you're doing, you have to be raiding sufficiently to be able to keep both queues going. From villa 2 onwards, it's particularly powerful.
    Whilst i agree that the queues require fair resource and are better value for gold abusers i myself went in head first to a Roman account without the 1 server experience. My only experience was ~2 months on a Gaul def account Id taken over before endgame on au2. To this day (a server or three (some incomplete) later) i don't think i could have improved on my game except to have moved my towns outwards instead of waiting for the local Teutons to self implode.

Which brings me to another point.. recommended locations for each of the tribes. I've found Teutons do better in the centre then others due to their quick recuperation (courtesy of a low clubbie price) of losses, could the another positions (mid quad/outer quad) do well for the other races or is this just bias clouding my judgement?
    So many mice, so little time.

You're probably a little biased!

Your comment on the best tribe locations is a part that I feel is best left to the tribe-specific guide section. The intent of this overview was only to provide some high-level guidance to a very new player who isn't sure which tribe will fit his personal style. Once they select a tribe, then the further reading in the tribe-specific guide for their selection should cover ideal locations.

Quote Originally Posted by MischievousKitten View Post
    Whilst i agree that the queues require fair resource and are better value for gold abusers i myself went in head first to a Roman account without the 1 server experience. My only experience was ~2 months on a Gaul def account Id taken over before endgame on au2. To this day (a server or three (some incomplete) later) i don't think i could have improved on my game except to have moved my towns outwards instead of waiting for the local Teutons to self implode.

Which brings me to another point.. recommended locations for each of the tribes. I've found Teutons do better in the centre then others due to their quick recuperation (courtesy of a low clubbie price) of losses, could the another positions (mid quad/outer quad) do well for the other races or is this just bias clouding my judgement?
    AU1/RD2 - Huggington

Quote Originally Posted by MischievousKitten View Post
    That doesn't really depend on the tribe. It depends on the player's capabilities combined with any duals he/she may have.
    I played as an offensive Gaul in the middle of the map (I mean like -12|20 or something like that) on USx R7. I was capable of staying there. There were actually plenty of Romans/Gauls in the center.
    Most of the Teutons ran out to find better croppers, which are 'rarely' in the center of the map.

Regards,
    Garinil

I'm back baby? For now.