Thread: Gar's Guide to Start-ups(Speed)

Post Gar's Guide to Start-ups(Speed)

Gar's Guide to Start-Ups

I have learned a lot in my years of Travian experience. I am still learning more and more about this game as it continue to progress and I meet new people on different servers. This guide combines the knowledge of top 20 offense accounts, and many top defender accounts.

Now, I can only say truthfully, that the knowledge of defense accounts is limited, as I have ALWAYS been an offense account. No matter where I play, I have an offense.

Alrighty, lets begin.
    Registering:
    • Making your account name something offensive to others, will most surely get you attacked in the beginning, so chose wisely.
    • Make sure you use a very well constructed password, so it not easy for anyone you know to get into your account.
    • I am usually in the NE, and that is because it 'usually' has some of the most active and offense based players. I don't enjoy simming up the entire round, and if you do like that, I would suggest SE.
    • The Tribes:
    • The tribe selection will need to GREATLY depend on how often you will be able to play. For very active players, I suggest teuton or roman. For moderately or little activity, I recommend gaul.

Some of the perks and drawbacks to each tribe:
    Perks:
    Teuton- Easy build armies, 20% cranny dips, and usually the first tribe to reach the 2nd village.
    Roman- First 'offense' is capable of being defense in needed times, powerful armies, better crop usage per unit
    Gaul- 2x Cranny protection, traps, few early raids against village due to trap scare

Drawbacks:
    Teuton- Easily killed armies, expensive defense(paladins), hard to rebuild once a nice mace army is destroyed.
    Roman- Slow builders at first, expensive armies, better late game compared to the 'start-up' phase.
    Gaul- Phalanx are horrible for raiding, TTs are easily killed once you have them, if you get farmed once, you will be seen as a farm for a while.
    Alright, now to the actual start-ups:
    There are two types I can see. Those are early defense, and early offense(raiding). Early defense is, again, better for those that do not have a lot of time on the game. Early offense, is better for those with duals, or a lot of time to devote to the game.
    Offense start-up:

• First thing is first.. NO QUESTS!! Quests will only slow you down in getting the resources you need so desperately in the beginning.
    • Now, gold is BEST for this method. You get some of the beginning gold, which is good. You WILL need to use this gold.
    • Building order: Main Building to 3, Warehouse to 1, Granary to 1, marketplace to 1, rally point to 1, barracks to 1, cranny to 2 or 3.
    • After you have completed all of that (should use ALL of your resources) start using some of the gold, and NPC(use the little gold link next to the cost of the troops in your barracks to get the best use) the resources into troops(Clubswingers, legionaires, or phalanx). As soon as other people come out of beginners protection, you will be raiding them as much as possible.
    • Do not stop to build anything else. If you go negative in wheat, this is ok. You should be able to get enough wheat to feed your troops from your raids. You can always NPC into wheat if you have bought gold.
    • Remember that every 5 hours, you get a new shipment of resources from the task manager, so always fetch those as soon as possible and NPC into troops.
    • Repeat this for awhile. You want to get 100 troops(hopefully) before you start doing other things.
    • Then you increase your warehouse as needed to prevent overflow, and to upgrade the next few things.
    • Then the last building order:

1. Build your Main Building to 10.
    2. Build your Academy to 10.
    3. Build a Town hall and then throw a party in it for the CP.
    4. Build your residence to level 10.
    5. Build your settlers and settle, hopefully a nice cropper in your area.
    Defense start-ups:

• Start the quests, but make sure that your cranny level COVERS 120% of your warehouse and granary.
    • Get to the "Everything to 2!" section of the quest, and then start building a few troops to raid with. Gold club will allow them to auto-dodge until you have a sufficient amount. If you do not have gold, you can always send them on a LONG walk to a 2-10 population village somewhere. Just remember, the travel time there is the same for them to come back. So for you to sleep or be away 6 hours, send them on a 3 hours raid.
    • Build your resources fields with some of the extra income you are getting with your troops. Get your fields to 5 at least before you build your residence. By that time, you should be close to your CP amount for a new village.
    • Build your settlers, and start working on the fields in your 'spawn' or first village. Those extra resources can be used to 'push' or send resources to your new village(s) later.

Questions and comments are welcome. I reserve the right to edit this at any time.

Disclaimer: I did this very late at my time, and I am tired. If anything is incorrect, please point it out to me in a PM.

Regards,
    Garinil

I'm back baby? For now.

Quote Originally Posted by Garinil View Post
    Building order: Main Building to 3, Warehouse to 1, Granary to 1, marketplace to 1, rally point to 1, barracks to 1, cranny to 2 or 3
    with this, all the other guides say simply to get barrack ASAP and pump out your farming troops(please excuse my ignorance), is speed really that fast that you need the warehouse,granery, and crannies before troops?

roids

EDIT:

i re-read and realised you are starting from the very beginning of server, and not 1-3days in like the other guides suggest.
    Last edited by roids001; 1st August 2010 at 01:53 AM.
    Stand with dignity.
    Move like you have a purpose.
    Be proud of who you are,
    because you have every right to be.

Quote Originally Posted by roids001 View Post
    with this, all the other guides say simply to get barrack ASAP and pump out your farming troops(please excuse my ignorance), is speed really that fast that you need the warehouse,granery, and crannies before troops?

roids

EDIT:

i re-read and realised you are starting from the very beginning of server, and not 1-3days in like the other guides suggest.
    Yes, it is starting from day 1. As well, the granary, warehouses, and marketplace are very MUCH needed to NPC for the MOST troops possible. The cranny is for those that (of course, don't have duals, and can not be on 24/7).

Regards,
    Garinil

I'm back baby? For now.

Looks alright for the most part however especially on small aussie servers it is heavy reliant on raiding for the offence start.

A gaul will struggle like all hell to settle v2 with no fields and only 100 or so phalanx running around to gather resources. In my opinion they need to either tech straight to TT's or sim some nice fields to help pay for the settlers.

Also, the last two rounds playing as gaul and roman we were amongst the first non teuts to settle and neither time did we need a party. (although we did throw one)

Especially on a speed server I would build one or two levels of the residance and work out the maths on how long until you have cp to settle.

I also calculate my average raid income to work out how long it is going to take to save for settlers / residance.

If it is going to take 3 days to save for a settler you are better off simming fields or making more troops before thinking about v2.

RIP Mathy. Forever loved!

Quote Originally Posted by meatbag View Post
    Looks alright for the most part however especially on small aussie servers it is heavy reliant on raiding for the offence start.

A gaul will struggle like all hell to settle v2 with no fields and only 100 or so phalanx running around to gather resources. In my opinion they need to either tech straight to TT's or sim some nice fields to help pay for the settlers.

Also, the last two rounds playing as gaul and roman we were amongst the first non teuts to settle and neither time did we need a party. (although we did throw one)

Especially on a speed server I would build one or two levels of the residance and work out the maths on how long until you have cp to settle.

I also calculate my average raid income to work out how long it is going to take to save for settlers / residance.

If it is going to take 3 days to save for a settler you are better off simming fields or making more troops before thinking about v2.
    Yes, but you must understand, that most of the 'new players' that this guide is meant for, will not do all of those calculations themselves. They are also probably going to be playing casually.

Regards,
    Garinil

I'm back baby? For now.

Again, I must ask where the grammatical error is please, as I can not spot it.

I'm back baby? For now.