View Poll Results: Should this guide remain in our Guides section?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it's a very useful, accurate and well-written guide for the version it was written for.

1 33.33%
  • Yes, but it needs some editing done for spelling and format.

1 33.33%
  • No, there are better guides already here on this topic

0 0%
  • No, it's irrelevant/inaccurate/terribly written

1 33.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to effectivly use the trapper

how to effectivly use the trapper

hello everyone.

so ive read a few threads about how useless the trapper is, but i just thought of a way it can be used, outside of trapping all the enemies troops. I was wondering what you all think and also if anyone has another way of utilising this building. I may put it into a guide if I get a few different tactics.

We all know it loses its effectiveness as the game progresses. Even a week in some cases! but here is an idea to increase that time.

1. trap a casual raid of lets say 5 troops.
    2. the aggressor gets angry when you don't release and sends his whole force.
    3. release troops and get free trap repairs.
    4. dodge the attack and get a free report on the aggressor's strenght.
    5. repeat, this time with the benefit of a combat sim and a follow home, or if you are feeling adventurous just defend.

Even though i though of this myself, i'm sure its not new. I just think the trapper has gotten alot of bad press. It was put in for a reason, it just hasn't been fully explored.

roids
    Stand with dignity.
    Move like you have a purpose.
    Be proud of who you are,
    because you have every right to be.

Well, what youve said there is assuming two things: one, that the attacker will get angry, and two, that he will send his/her whole force at you. More often than not, they will scout the target for defence, and then just send an appropriate portion of their total force to clear the troops, and any potential traps.

Though on the flip-side, some times the attack does send everything, and in that case, what you've said works fine. its just that it is very case-specific

ok - soo many different tactics, and im sure theres dozens more tactics that ive never even thought of.

Firstly when under attack, romans and tuets can lose resources by:
    - having them stolen
    - losing troops pointlessly.

Gauls are different, they can lose resources by
    - having them stolen (though the double cranny does help reduce this point)
    - losing troops pointlessly
    - having traps broken

In all instances its essential to minimise resource losses.

At least with defense troops, they can be sent away from the village to dodge the attack, or told to autododge - traps dont have that ability, they cant hide in an oaisis, they cant dodge, and cant be turned off, and if used unwisely they can be a total waste of resources.
    With a low level trapper, traps are built slowly. It can be a struggle to rebuild traps quickly in between attacks resulting in traps being constantly broken. Even traps that repair for free take time based on the trapper level, and again may be unable to repair fast enough.

For most players i recommend they hold off on building traps until they upgrade the trapper. A level 10 trapper gives a quicker trap build time (compared to level 1 trapper) also the resource cost to build a level 10 trapper is the same as building 49 phals. For a crop upkeep of 27 crop per hour, a level 10 trapper gives you a total limit of 154 traps

The costruction cost to build both a level 10 trapper AND 154 traps is worth 88 phals. IMO Having only traps but no troops is pointless, but would work well for catch and release. Aggressive Gauls might focus on building tt's and traps only.

here are some of the defense tactics for Gauls when using the trapper.

If you trap an attacker with a small raid, send all your phals out locally in raids as you know the tuet will scout, dont keep any troop at home at all, when he sees 0 def, your going to get a small attack thats manageable - perhaps even defensive troops (ive been hit by 200 spears by doing this sort of tactic), as soon as you see a full attack (not a raid) then that is the time to let your def come home to ambush the attack - what doesnt hit your defense gets stuck in traps

NOW you have 2 choices;
    OPTION1: assuming your traps are full of clubbies, open up in 2 seperate tabs, the first tab to release his troops and the second window is to launch a counter attack at the attacker with 1 phal with a group of your tt's, then you send his troops back 1/2 second prior to launching your attack and youll be right. The reason you send 1 phals is to slow down your tt's and the reason you send your tt's is that they love to eat clubs Done properly your TT's will run down all the clubs that you release.

Option2:
    KEEP the troops and hope for war. What i love is when tuets offer to leave me alone if i release their troops. Lols, its a war game, and my reasoning is that if i release their troops, they will (and do) refuse to play with me for the rest of the server? so yeah, if you get a message like that, never release their troops or soon enough noone will play with you.

if someone really wants there troops back, they can send you a resource gift as a peace offering and send you a really polite message - then just send them home.

Catch and keep, catch and release tactics
    In a fun war with 1716 (start of au3 r2), as they filled up my traps, i estimated based on players pop, off rank, hero rank, tribe, to work out if i could defend against it or not, and would release some of the trapped troops appropriately or keep the trapper full to get more kill points - remember that opponents will often fill traps with def troops (ive seen people fill traps with defense troops and scouts!) so its advantageous to have the trapper nearly full when they attack in a raid with defense, and empty it before heavy attacks come.

During the war, while i got some parts of the equation right - at the end of it all, they sent a single troop fake, and silly me thinking it was the mother load of attacks sent back all trapped troops. Keep in mind that traps when voluntarily released are repaired for free, but most traps that get broken will cost, so IF you think it might be a large enough attack to breach the defenses - wait 10 seconds before the attacks land then release all trapped troops.
    Released traps are free to repair - its important to minimise trap losses otherwise your still losing. Having 154 traps broken in an attack is resource wise the same as losing 39 phals.

An example of timing a troop release prior to an incoming attack
    if i have 200 traps, and 180 trapped troops,(so only 20 available traps) and 50 def, and someone sends 300 troops in an attack, if i dont free the troops - ill have 200 traps broken, if i free the troops too early, the traps will be repaired for free and ill have 200 traps broken in the attack, if i hold onto the 180 trapped troops and then i release the trapped troops 10 seconds before the attack hits, ill have only 20 traps broken.
    Noone knows what size the incoming attack is, it could be small, and manageable, and trappers when empty are much more effective but as you can see, effective catch and timed release is one way that can help to minimise resources lost by broken traps.

Remember in some instances multiple villages or multiple members in an allaince may help to fill up your traps, you might be in a position where the trap is filled and you have just seconds to assess the situation and send them back, allowing no time for the traps to be repaired - regardless of the situation, its important to minimise the number of traps broken.

Use traps to hide your defenses while your building up defense
    After players have 2 or more villages, traps can be more useful. For players with 2 vills and who are under heavy attack (or going to bed for the night and cant afford autododge) can build 1 troop and 1 trap and raid themselves to protect BOTH the troop and the TRAP - traps build slowly, but repair quickly. Its slow, and expensive, but a farm could essientially build up a couple of trappers, fill the traps as they are built with phals - then as soon as they release their own troops the traps repair fast and they can ambush / snipe attacks.

Most players use this tactic already early game to store settlers in traps.

midgame onwards: its good if Gauls store 100 def troops in traps in all vils - that way if they come online and everything is wiped, they still have enough to consoidate and snipe chieftain attacks. Dont be complacant, having traps may cut down on alot of smallish attacks, but midgame any attacks tend to be very large, its not uncommon to come online and find all vills cleared.

midgame - endgame
    - trapper vills can easily build 4k traps (10 trappers X 400 traps) you can get right up to 7k+ traps but the village is then borderline useless, you can imagine the potential for an entire allaince where a hammer builder can send his cats and rams and store them in traps where they are permanently invisible to scouts and invulnerable to attacks. SO many hammers get ghosted in pre-endgame - you cant store a wwk in traps, but an allaince could hide 100k-200k hammers in traps easily enough. A single player could easily build 40k traps (10 trap vills, each with 4k traps) add to that if you have 10 members in an allaince do this, you then have 400k traps.

This could house all of the metas siege weapons. troops can be built quickly on the B, S, GB, GS. But there is no Great Workshop. 400k traps between just 10 players shows just how good these traps are, with the ability to protect an entire wwk hammer.

It should be noted that one main reason why non-capital wwk's arent stored in traps is that the crop consumption is from the village that built the troops. Feeding a growing wwk hammer for 6 months is NOT an ideal situation, as it will then need constant and continous feeding. However, feeding the seige weapons, the seige being the most expensive, and lowest defense/crop ratio is plausible, and the other troops should be stored in troop pools to ease the burden of feeding the hammer.

Early Game way to know if a Gaul has no traps
    If your a tuet and in early game feel that you dont have enough clubbies to raid a Gaul... try this.
    Scout Gauls, find one that has phals, if it has phals, then it probly has a trapper... send them 1 scout as a reinforcement.
    If your scout gets killed, check the guys def rank, you should re-scout in case he did a dodge, and then send clubbies as you know they dont have traps and or they just got cleared by someone else.

Building up def under heavy fire / getting free crop from crannied and trappered up Gauls
    Here is a way for tuets and romans to use Gaul traps to their advantage. This is more suited for someone who is under heavy and constant raids and is struggling to build up under heavy attacks.
    In the above i suggested scouting Gauls to find one with troops, well here is a PERFECT example:
    http://travian-reports.net/us/report/3866852a3af

From the report you will notice that the guys res overflowing so I know inactive, (or not active enough to cause a problem) hes probly got 2 crannies so not worth having a shot at raiding, AND the guy has 50 def and a stack of traps as well as a low level wall.

What you do then, is you build up some defense and send them as they are built to the village. You rescout to check the crop so that you can estimate how much crop per hour the guy has.
    http://travian-reports.net/us/report/3866919168a

notice the spears? Well, my spears are relatively safe, early game noones gonna breach 100-200 traps and clear 50 phals, for no resource benefit just to hit my couple of spears. And in the meantime, while noone else can take res from him, im stealing alot of crop per hour.

Using this sort of tactic, I have found multiple troop storage places that are close by where I can safely hide troops and have other accounts feed them, and the combination of phals + wall + residence + traps is more protection then i can offer my own troops if i kept them in my village. Doing this gives me the upper hand when players scout then come to attack as i can quickly consolidate my defenses when needed.
    When allainces 'clear' available defense then send in cats, they are often in for a nasty snipe.

Reasons why you wanna make sure its inactives is that I can store clubbies, cats, rams and settlers but an active Gaul could send them back and do a nasty follow home. For actives, sending them def + scouts is usually welcome, they will just think your an idiot, and if you actually follow any of my advice, well then you probly are...

Disclosure and why use this tactic
    This tactic is risky but as its a temporary and free alternative to the autododge, in some ways its superior to the autododge as you are effectively hiding an army and having the upkeep maintained by a group of inactives. Autododge doesnt dodge when people scout, so attackers and raiders are always in for a suprise when you snipe.

No - this isnt recommended for long term troop storage, this is an early game tactic only. Its only for recommended for those that are under heavy attack and struggling to build up enough defenses to survive. Remember it is risky...

Word of warning though when hiding troops in inactive Gauls, is that when the system deletes their account for being inactive, clubbies / imps / phals take 24 hours to return back to your village! (remember how your rat was 12 hours from the village of the elders? Well, reins in a deleted village return back to you from the same place your rat came from) It doesnt matter where on the map the village deleted from, troops that move at 7squares per hour take 24hours to return home, and ill leave you to work out the time for other slower troops to return home.

My pet hates when playing as Gaul:
    So many times when ive attacked romans / tuets ive suffered troop losses, but as a Gaul, when players attack their troops are essentially protected - they are safer in the traps then if released. Often early game ive been attacked by members in different allainces, and as trappers are more effective if they are empty with all traps repaired, i often end up releasing peoples troops for free (though i do try to hold onto prisoners for as long as possible)

its just annoying that in an exchange of blows, the Gaul can lose all their offense, but the tuet/roman player may lose their troops for 1-2 days but get them back totally unharmed.
    Last edited by Lone Ranger; 16th September 2010 at 10:51 PM. Reason: typo errors

thank you lone ranger, exactly the kind of thing I was looking for.

@forsaken. thanks too you aswell. its easy to forget that other players are not always willing to go along with your plans.

roids
    Stand with dignity.
    Move like you have a purpose.
    Be proud of who you are,
    because you have every right to be.

holy cow Lone Ranger, that was VERY thorough, not much else to add

but personally i think that it is very hard for a gaul to wage war on a teut!!!

and if traps are only effective in the early game, thats when you DON'T have TT's

and if it is in late game, don't you think (unless its a very low pop teut)

he will have hundreds/thousands of troops, generally when the teut gets aggravated, he will send any force over 400 and that will alone hurt you, because when he fills up your traps then the rest of the army can come through, 1 attack with catas can wipe you out, yes i guess you shouldn't play the release my army or else with teuts but sometimes its better to just make sure troops get trapped and released, and then trapped again, without losing res

sorry if lone ranger said this, i dont think i got through all of his post

I'll put my two bops worth in. I am playing non agressive teuton - in that domination of my 30x30 is paramount and securing resources, troops need to make a return in their raids otherwise there is no point in it. If my troops are trapped it may take an hour or so before I have enough troops returned from micro raiding to attack the traps. Generally speaking I will send around five times as many troops to clear a trap and any defense. I am not overly concerned about defense numbers as I am farming generally speaking non gold using semi active accounts.
    Once I clear the traps I will increase the frequency of attacks on that farm and forcibly destroy all the traps as half keep getting repaired in 24 hours.
    Holding troops in trap is a complete waste of resources against a teut. The interesting point also is that the teut will now have lost five oportunities to raid because they have to release the trapped troops - this can be very costly if farming with 30 clubbies a pop x 6 = 360 clubbies out of action to free troops they easily could have earned upwards of 9000 resources farming elsewhere.

Best to hold onto the troops as long as you can when you see there are troops trapped and release them as soon as you see an attack coming, spend down resources, build more traps and crannys (brilliant for C.P.).

A P.I.A farm is not worth farming - do that several times and you will be off the farm list.

(As a farmer) If your troops arent earning - best off investing your resources into more fields and factories - and if the farms are too far away - the rate of return does not warrant farming - the only reason why you would is to increase the size of your troop base.

Lone Ranger's tactics are brilliant and I would certainly follow them, next time I go round as a Gaul.

Quote Originally Posted by roids001 View Post
    hello everyone.

so ive read a few threads about how useless the trapper is, but i just thought of a way it can be used, outside of trapping all the enemies troops. I was wondering what you all think and also if anyone has another way of utilising this building. I may put it into a guide if I get a few different tactics.

We all know it loses its effectiveness as the game progresses. Even a week in some cases! but here is an idea to increase that time.

1. trap a casual raid of lets say 5 troops.
    2. the aggressor gets angry when you don't release and sends his whole force.
    3. release troops and get free trap repairs.
    4. dodge the attack and get a free report on the aggressor's strenght.
    5. repeat, this time with the benefit of a combat sim and a follow home, or if you are feeling adventurous just defend.

Even though i though of this myself, i'm sure its not new. I just think the trapper has gotten alot of bad press. It was put in for a reason, it just hasn't been fully explored.

roids
    In some cases the amount of time it takes the attacker to send an attack to free his troops is faster then the amount of time it takes for the traps to be re-built, what should you do in this case?

build troops, dodge, raid, whatever until you have 100 phals then build 100 traps, keep .5:1 traps:troop ratio, and send back all troops as they are caught. (ie 250traps:500 troops

Attackers get a report to say there troops are stuck, but no notice that there troops are released.
    If you release the troops, tell the attacker something like rhis:
    Hi - ive released your troops from my village XXX, sorry for inconvience caused. Have a nice day.

Ok, that was a little gay, but if i see that, im not likely to catapult you.

Played travian for 4 years, and all I got was:

hmm.. well what if the player is not very strong and sends all his troops at you and your traps get most of them and your troops finish off the rest. Wouldnt it be better for me to leave them captured and build more traps? Otherwise they may send the same troops with extra but if they have to rebuild all their troops it will take them longer and by that time i will have many more traps and troops?

yes - that is good tactic.

Edit:
    Just like to say, when i started travian, task 24 esseinrially was to free allied trapped troops.

its usually one of the first tasks allainces do together.

For us,
    Task 24 was to free allied troops from gaulic traps.
    Task 25 was to Croplock threats to the alliance
    Task 26 was to zero pop 15c'c
    Task 27 is to capture a village...
    (all early game alliance missions)

So guess what happens when you trap troops - simply lets your enemy alliance complete task 24
    Last edited by Lone Ranger; 29th September 2010 at 02:38 PM.

Played travian for 4 years, and all I got was:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast